Meetings are normally held at 7.30pm on the second Monday of each month, from September to May, at the Friends Meeting House, Bakewell, DE45 1EL. Parking is only for disabled people and those needing to load and unload equipment etc.
The meetings usually start with a call over of bird sightings in our recording area during the previous month and announcements concerning forthcoming events followed by a speaker.
Meetings start with a call over of bird sightings in the local area where members are encouraged to participate. There is normally a refreshment break around 8.30 and we usually finish around 9.30.
Guests are always welcome to our talks (£3), where they can also discover more about our outdoor meetings to local birding hot spots.
Please click on the meeting title to see further information.
- Member’s Christmas Party on 11th Dec 2023 7:30:pm, at Friends Meeting House
Photographic competition, quiz and buffet supper.
- Mary Colwell – ‘Saving Curlews’ on 8th Jan 2024 7:30:pm, at Friends Meeting House
Environmentalist, award–winning producer and author of Curlew Moon, Mary was awarded the prestigious RSPB Medal in 2022 for her tireless commitment and outstanding contribution raising awareness of the plight of the Eurasian curlew threatened with extinction in the UK and Ireland.
- Ashley Grove – ‘Crane Spotting’ on 12th Feb 2024 7:30:pm, at Friends Meeting House
The Lake Hornborga area of Sweden hosts one of the most incredible bird spectacles to be seen in Europe, with over 25,000 Common Cranes stopping to feed on their journey to northerly breeding grounds. All 5 European Grebe species can be seen at this time in early spring.
- Andy Broadhurst – ‘Public launch of our Swift Project’ on 27th Feb 2024 7:30:pm, at
Held in the Main Hall, Medway Centre, Bakewell on TUESDAY Held in conjunction with Derbyshire Swift Conservation Project and Peak Boxes, encouraging local residents involvement.
- Brian Shaw – ‘Latest on my Reserves, Osprey sightings and more’ on 11th Mar 2024 7:30:pm, at Friends Meeting House
Brian will regale us with all the latest happenings and sightings, pitfalls and successes experienced with his own two very different nature reserves since his last update. One, a woodland slope on his doorstep in Derbyshire and the other a wetland area in Lincolnshire, all delivered in his own inimitable style. Followed by the AGM...
- David White – ‘The Breeding Bird Survey in Derbyshire’ on 8th Apr 2024 7:30:pm, at Friends Meeting House
David is BTO Engagement & Surveys Officer. Joint meeting with DOS
Our past events can be found in the events archive.